Are you paying attention to your teen's health?June 20, 2017
By Jessica Vician
As our children grow older and start pushing us away more often, there are some parts of parenting that we can let up on. But health is not one of those things. Even though your teenager might look healthy, it's important to make those doctors appointments and ensure they have access to healthy food options.
What specifically should you pay attention to? Refer to this checklist:
- Annual doctor appointments (general practitioner)
- Dental appointments/cleanings every six months
- Specialist doctor appointments as needed
Food & nutrition
- Keep junk food out of the house
- Load the fridge with fresh fruit and vegetables
- Pack healthy snacks for after school
- Have breakfast and dinner together as often as possible
Physical activity & rest
- Encourage fun activities like sports, biking, running 5Ks, etc.
- Set curfews—for being home and for being off screens—to ensure at least 8 hours of sleep a night
By glancing at this checklist every few months, you'll be reminded to make those doctor appointments, keep your refrigerator full of healthy snacks, and stay active with your teenagers.